Friday, October 28, 2011

Stop the Sexy Costume Insanity

There is only one thing about Halloween that bothers me and that is the trend that has cropped up in the last five years or so that states all women's costumes have be sexy. Sexy nurse, sexy vampire, sexy barbarian, etc. Last year the insanity of this reached critical mass when I saw a sexy bumblebee costume. That's right, bees can now be sexy. I don't have an issue with sexy costumes per se, but when the only options are these sexy variants of every day things there is a problem. Even worse is that the sexualization of costumes is now reaching down into girls' costumes, and some of the ones you find in stores now are quite inappropriate. 



But there is hope! The website Take Back Halloween is a website dedicated to women with an imagination. It's not a store, but a resource guide to creating fantastic costumes that move beyond the sexy trend. 
So while you're getting ready for Halloween parties this weekend, know that you have other options than being a sexy package of M&Ms

4 comments:

  1. In the past I've had fun with the sexy costumes but I agree that with their being little other choice it's gotten to be a bit too much. The sexy girls costumes is out of line in my opinion. It makes me very happy that I'm big on making our own costumes.
    Thank you for the link to a third option besides sexy store bought and make it yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally in love with that Pele costume...but you probably already knew that! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeremy and I went to one of the warehouse halloween stores and were looking at the costumes and were a bit disturbed at the selections of women's costumes. I think there were only a couple of costumes that weren't sexy...and they were for "full figured" women.

    We were walking through the girls section and we looked at each other and said "I wouldn't put a little girl in *that*"

    I really don't understand the mentality of the costume industry. The guys costumes ranged the whole gambit, but there was a HUGE selection of straight college frat costumes regarding beer, sex, fart and poop jokes. ::sigh::

    This is why I like to make my own costumes when I do anything for Halloween. The only time I bought a costume was when I went as a pink flamingo and Jeremy went as a ballerina (picture Jeremy in a blow-up ballerina costume...I wish I still had the pictures of that one).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Manoa I pulled the Pele costume to be featured just for you. :-) I love it too, and have a fondness for Pele.

    ReplyDelete