Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Update: Official Statement About Same Sex Relationships in Star Wars: The Old Republic

There is now an official announcement about same sex relationships in Star Wars: The Old Republic:
Due to the design constraints of a fully voiced MMO of this scale and size, many choices had to be made as to the launch and post-launch feature set. Same gender romances with companion characters in Star Wars: The Old Republic will be a post-launch feature. Because The Old Republic is an MMO, the game will live on through content expansions which allow us to include content and features that could not be included at launch, including the addition of more companion characters who will have additional romance options.
At this point, I guess this is the best solution we could have hoped for, though the phrasing of the announcement says to me "You people weren't important enough to spend resources on from the start." I hope I'm wrong about that, but I can't help but wonder why a game that's been in production for years didn't have this from the start. Surely it didn't take them three years to remember that gay people exist and might want to play their game. 

Still, it's coming some time in the ambiguous "after launch" time frame. I'm sure some will be happy, but I'm sure for others it's a little too late. 


And it doesn't change my mind about not playing it. 

1 comment:

  1. I certainly hope the content expansions they're referring to aren't any of the paid expansions they may planning. 'Cause it's a bit ridiculous to include hetero romances at launch, but then make those interested in other types of romances pay extra for it because those players are not considered "mainstream."

    ReplyDelete