Monday, September 12, 2011

Speak Out with Your Geek Out Day 1 - I Collect Toys

Today is day one of Speak Out with your Geek Out, and I am going to talk today about another one of my geek hobbies - collecting toys. 

To be honest, I like toys more now than I did as a child. Sure I had toys and I played with them as a child. I was particularly fond of Barbies, My Little Ponies, and Strawberry Shortcake. I also liked playing with cars and Transformers. But I didn't have the appreciation for toys then that I do now. Toys for me now are a connection to the things I love about my geekery - the comic heroes I like, movies I enjoy, etc. 

I collect DC Comics figures, particularly those of their female heroes. Among my favorites are Wonder Woman, Hawkgirl, Zatanna, Harley Quinn, and Poison Ivy. I also have a small collection of Hero Clix that includes Green Lantern, Batman, Ironman, and War Machine. Those were given to me free on Free Comic Book Day. The other Hero Clix I have are from the collector's edition copies of City of Heroes and City of Villains. 

I collect Star Trek figures, most notable Spock, and I collect Star Trek ships. When I was a teenager my dad helped me put up glow in the dark stars on my ceiling. We got out an encyclopedia and arranged the stars in constellations, including Scorpius which is my astrological constellation. Then I took my collection of Star Trek mini ships and hung them from the ceiling among the stars. I still have all my ships and am just waiting to live in a place without a drop ceiling so I can hang them up again. 

I have LEGO mini figs, Skelanimals of all kinds, and Nightmare Before Christmas figures. I also collect Hello Kitty anything, anything with faeries, dragonflies, skulls, and owls.  

I even have a plush Companion Cube on my desk, a gift from John. Makes me feel less guilty over what I did to the first one. 

So there you have it. I'm a 35-year-old collector of geek toys, and I'm proud of it. 

1 comment:

  1. I have a collection of Doctor Who toys and I still morn the huge Alien queen I lost to an ex-boyfriend (yes, she was his, but couldn't he have left her behind, like all his other crap). And yeah, I hear you on the drop ceiling, my Trek ships are in storage as well.

    ReplyDelete